- 1 CUP Whole Grain Bread Crumbs
- 1 LB Fresh Green Beans, stemmed and halved crosswise
- 3 to 4 medium Shallots, in their skins
- 8 OZ Cremini Mushrooms, sliced (about 4 cups)
- 2 TBSP unsalted Butter
- 3 TBSP Whole Wheat Flour
- 1½ CUPS Mushroom, Vegetable, or Chicken Broth (Mushroom broth is best but do not use Asian style broth)
- 3 TSP Fresh Thyme Leaves
- 1½ TSP Spice of Life
- 1 TBSP Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400⁰F. Put the shallots on a small baking dish, roast until soft, about 30 minutes. When cool enough to handle, skin and coarsely chop the shallots. Set aside.
- Bring a medium-large saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add green beans, and cook, uncovered, until crisp-tender and bright green, about 3 minutes. Drain beans in a colander and rinse with cold water. Transfer the beans to a large bowl.
- In the same saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms; season with a little salt to release their moisture. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, for about 7 minutes. Add the mushrooms to the beans.
- Melt butter in the saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until golden, about 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the broth, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Add the shallots, 1 teaspoon of the thyme, pepper and Spice of Life. Reduce the heat, simmer and cook until thickened, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Pour the sauce over the vegetables and stir to combine evenly.
- Coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Transfer the vegetable mixture to the pan. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of thyme to bread crumbs and scatter over the vegetables. Bake uncovered until the sauce bubbles and the crumbs brown, about 20 minutes.