- 1½ CUPS Whole Wheat Flour
- 1½ TSP Baking Powder
- ½ TSP Baking Soda
- 1½ TSP Cinnamon
- ½ TSP Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ TSP Salt
- 1 large Egg, room temp
- 1 TBSP Coconut Oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 TSP Vanilla Extract
- ½ CUP Maple Syrup
- ¼ CUP plain nonfat Greek Yogurt
- ¼ CUP nonfat Milk
- 2 CUPS Carrots, freshly grated
- 8 OZ nonfat Ricotta Cheese
- 3 TBSP nonfat Greek Yogurt, plain
- 2 TBSP Agave
- 1 TSP Vanilla Extract
- 1 TSP Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and coat a 9” square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- To prepare the cake, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, egg, and vanilla. Fold in the maple syrup and yogurt until there are no clumps. Add milk to flour mixture and and combine all ingredients.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 28-31 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Cool completely to room temperature before frosting.
- Frosting: Stir together the ricotta cheese, cinnamon, yogurt, agave, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Spread on top of the cooled cake. Let the frosting set for 45 minutes. Slice and enjoy.
Yield: 1 cake
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes