- 1 large Onion, sliced thin
- 5 medium Garlic Cloves, pressed
- 1 medium Red Bell Pepper, cut in 1-inch squares
- 1 medium Eggplant, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 CUPS (or 1 15-oz can) Garbanzo Beans
- 1 15-oz can Lentils, drained
- ½ CUP Tomato Sauce
- 1¼ CUPS + 1 TBSP Low-Sodium Vegetable Broth
- ½ CUP Raisins
- 1 TBSP fresh Cilantro or Parsley, chopped
- 2 TSP Turmeric
- ½ TSP Garam Masala
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- Black Pepper (to taste)
- Slice onion and press garlic and let sit at room temperature for at least 5 minutes.
- Heat 1 TBSP broth in a 10-12 inch skillet. Sauté onion in broth over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic, red bell pepper, eggplant, garam masala, and turmeric. Stir to mix well for a minute, and add remaining broth and tomato sauce. Stir.
- Cover with a lid and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until peppers and eggplant are tender.
- Add garbanzo beans, lentils, red chili flakes, and raisins. Simmer for another 5 minutes. Season with pepper. Top with chopped cilantro.
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes