- 1 (10-12 LB) Turkey
- ¼ CUP and 20 Whole Sprigs of Fresh Herbs (such as thyme, rosemary, sage, oregano and/or marjoram)
- 1 Onion, quartered
- 1 Apple, quartered1 Lemon and/or Orange, quartered
- 3 CUPS Water
- 2 TBSP Canola Oil
- 1 TSP Sea Salt
- 1 TSP Ground Black Pepper
- Position a rack in the lower third of oven; preheat to 475°F.
- Remove giblets and neck from turkey cavity and reserve for making gravy. Place the turkey, breast-side up, on a rack in a large roasting pan; pat dry with paper towels.
- Mix herbs, oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub the herb mixture all over the turkey, under the skin and onto the breast meat.
- Place onion, apple, citrus and 10 of the herb sprigs in the cavity.
- Tuck the wing tips under the turkey. Tie the legs together with kitchen string.
- Add water and the remaining 10 herb sprigs to the pan.
- Roast the turkey until the skin is golden brown, 45 minutes.
- Remove the turkey from the oven.
- Cover the breast with a double layer of foil, cutting as necessary to conform to the breast.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and continue roasting for 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 45 minutes more. If the pan dries out, tilt the turkey to let juices run out of the cavity into the pan and/or add 1 cup water. The turkey is done when the thermometer (or an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh without touching bone) registers 165°F.
- Transfer the turkey to a serving platter and cover with foil. Let the turkey rest for 20 minutes. Remove string and carve. Serve with Herb Pan Gravy.
Yield: 4 servings
Total Time: 3 hours