- 1CUP Quinoa, pre-washed
- 1 medium Butternut Squash, halved and seeded
- 1 Acorn Squash, halved and seeded
- 1 medium Carrot, peeled and sliced
- 2 large Granny Smith Apples, cored,
- peeled and chopped
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 2 CUPS Chicken or Vegetable Broth,
- 2 TBSP Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 CUPS Water
- 2 TSP Thyme, chopped
- Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Arrange squash halves in a large baking dish. Bake squash in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, or until tender.
- Heat oil on medium in a large stockpot or sauce pan. Add onion and carrot and sweat, stirring occasionally, until onions are softening, 3-4 minutes.
- Scoop squash pulp from shells. Transfer vegetables to the stockpot or saucepan. Add apples, cooked quinoa, broth and water. Simmer covered 20 minutes or until apples and carrots are tender. Add thyme and pepper.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a food processor or blender. Garnish with thyme sprigs.
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation Time: 2 hours