- 1 1/2 CUPS farro or brown rice
- 1 TSP finely grated orange zest
- 1 TBSP fresh orange juice
- 1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- 1 TBSP finely grated ginger
- 1/4 CUP extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 CUP golden raisins
- 1/4 CUP dried cranberries
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 CUP roasted pistachios, chopped
- 1/4 CUP chopped mint
- 2 TBSP chopped cilantro
- sea salt to taste
- For farro, bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the farro and simmer over moderate heat until al dente, about 35 minutes. Drain well, shaking off the excess water. For brown rice, add 2 1/2 cups of water and the rice to a large saucepan, lightly salt it and bring it to a boil. Cover, and reduce to a slow simmer for about 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the orange zest, orange juice, lemon juice, ginger and oil and whisk to blend. Season with a little sea salt.
- Add the warm grains to the dressing along with the raisins and cranberries and toss well. Let stand until the grains are almost cool. Just before serving, fold in the scallions, pistachios and mint.
Yield: 4-6 servings
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes