- Turkey Giblets and Neck
- 6 CUPS Water
- 2-3 CUPS Chicken Broth, reduced-sodium
- ¾ CUP Deglazing Liquid, such as White Wine
- ¼ CUP All-Purpose Flour
- 1 TBSP Fresh Herbs, (minced, choose your favorite herbs)
- ¼ TSP Spice of Life
- Ground Black pepper (to taste)
GIBLET STOCK COOKING STEPS:
Place giblets (except liver), neck and water in a large saucepan. (Reserve the liver for another use or discard.) Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, skimming and discarding any foam, for 1 hour. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve.
GRAVY COOKING STEPS:
- Remove turkey from the roasting pan.
- Pour pan juices into a large glass measuring cup and place in the freezer so the fat rises to the top, about 10 minutes. Skim the fat off with a spoon and discard (or use fat separator). Add the reserved giblet stock plus enough chicken broth so the combined liquids measure 5 cups total.
- Whisk ½ cup chicken broth and flour in a small bowl until smooth.
- Set the roasting pan over two burners on medium-high heat.
- Add deglazing liquid; scraping up the browned bits from the pan. Bring to a boil and cook until the liquid is reduced, about 3 minutes.
- Add the 5 cups of liquid from Step 2. Increase the heat to high and return to a boil, whisking often, until reduced to 2¾ cups, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Whisk the reserved broth and flour mixture into the roasting pan. Boil, whisking constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and pour the gravy through a fine sieve into a large bowl. Stir in herbs. Taste and season with Spice of Life and pepper.